REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
At RYO Coffee we believe in a greener tomorrow...
Learning how to reduce, reuse, and recycle can help you, your community, and the environment by saving money, energy, and natural resources. By lowering your carbon footprint, you can make a change for the better. To get you started, here are a few tips and tricks on how to reuse and recycle your coffee by products.
COFFEE SCENTED CANDLES
Got some used filter coffee? Wait, don't throw it away, let's get creative and make a candle with recycled products!
You will need: - Used Filter coffee - A paper towel - A stove top pot - A glass bowl - Spoon - A candle wick (you can recycle this from an old candle) - Old candles (smashed in pieces) - A paper cup (can be used) -Scissors
1. Melt the candle pieces in a glass bowl, on top of a stove top pot, filled with water.
2. Place the candle wick in your cup
3. Layer the coffee & melted wax in the paper cup.
4. Wait 20 min in-between the first layer of candle wax, and the second
5. Once desired layers are completed, let dry for an hour.
6. Gently remove the paper cup.
Enjoy your coffee fragranced candle!
HESSIAN COFFEE BAG HEARTS
Do you have empty hessian coffee bags left, lying around the house? Use it to make these cute hearts. They can be used for décor, gifts, keychains and even for your Christmas tree later this year!
You'll need: - Hessian Bags - Any thin rope/ thin string twine - Needles (for yarn) - A Marker - Scissors - Old cushion inners - Heart shape drawing Let's Create!
- Place your heart shape on the hessian bag, and outline with your marker
- Cut the hearts out, while making sure to cut all the marker parts off
- Start stitching 5mm - 10 mm from the edges, depending on the size of your heart.
You can do any stich. Don't stitch the whole heart.
- Fill with cushion inners
- Finish stitching your heart closed
- If you'd like to hang your heart, add the string that came with the bag onto the top.
Super easy and such a fun project!
COFFEE GROUNDS WATER PAINT
No paint? No need! You (and your kids) can create beautiful art with used coffee grounds.
What you would need:
- White paper (textured paper works better)
- Paint Brushes
- 2 Tablespoons of ground filter coffee, mixed with water in a small bowl
- 1 Tablespoon of ground filter coffee, mixed with water in a small bowl (This creates a variety of darkness/tones)
You can start with a an outline or just go with the flow. Be creative!
PLANTING CONTAINER BAG
Always ending up with empty coffee bags, but not sure how to use it?
They are perfect for baby plants or seedlings and adds an aesthetic feel to your décor.
- A small plant or seedling
- Potting Soil
- An empty RYO coffee bag
For more ways to reduce, reuse, recycle and to do your part in creating a greener brighter future click here.